Sunday 8 July 2012

Serendipity

During the week I visited an auction that I hadn't been to in quite some time.  It takes place every Thursday and is well attended. The first half of the sale is a mixture of bric-a-brac, household items and second hand furniture, and usually go for reasonably affordable prices. The second half of the sale is a little more 'upmarket', artwork, rugs and fancy furniture.  I really enjoy an auction, and i had the afternoon to myself to have a good look around, pick a few things to bid on, and sit back and listen to the wide assortment of characters that this sort of event attracts. Dealers and traders, newbies and dabblers, old geezers and total nutjobs, they're all there.

I bought this trunk, for a little more than i had intended. I had decided a maximum price I would pay. I don't always stick to the sensible rule of never getting carried away during the bidding, and I had already broken the rule of really examining the item closely before you bid.  I had successfully bid on a mixed box of bric-a-brac, and would have to wait until auction end to pick it up, so in for a penny in for a pound, i was going to fill the car up! 


The bidding started very low, and moves very fast. You can't always see who is bidding against you, this is sometimes because you are bidding against a bid that has been left with the autioneer prior to the sale. When the auctioneer reached my top price, I shook my head and pulled out, pleased with my self for being professional and stopping at my limit. The price went up by a further €4 and then down came the gavel, and he pointed it at me to take my name! Now it does move fast, but i was clearly out, and i was a bit put out at him upping the price on me, but he's the sort of guy that would happily embarrass you in front of the crowd, so i went with it. 



When i went to pick my things up at the end of the auction, I had a chance to examine the trunk in more detail. It was probably made from plywood, covered in red vinyl with a sort 60's crazed pattern on it. It was very sturdy with strong wooded ribs on top and all sides, had two leather handles and metal bound edges. Both latches worked, even though they looked a bit rusted, inside was lined in a printed paper. There was a whiff of damp and mothballs. It would need a good clean and an even better airing.


It was sunny when I got home and I set about cleaning it up straight away, and letting it air in the sunshine. It looked good when I was finished.

The sun shone at the car boot sale, and the trunk aired some more. A young couple pitched up beside me. They too had a trunk for sale, different to mine. She came to have a look at my trunk to compare. When she saw it she squealed at her boyfriend "It's Isobels trunk" and asked me excitedly if I'd found a note inside it. 

They had been at the same auction several weeks before and had seen the trunk where Isobel had fallen for it, but they had missed the bidding. They tried to convince the auctioneer to give them the number of the buyer, but he wouldn't. They ended up putting a note into the trunk with Isobel's number saying if the new owner changed their mind and wanted to sell it, please call.

Whoever bought the trunk then, either didn't collect, or changed their mind, but i ended up bring it home ...noteless, and brought it to the car boot sale which is not even  in the same county as the auction house.

Isobel was phoned and came and collected her prized possession. I hope it lives up to her expectations. Sometimes the one that got away becomes a much more desirable piece. I know that feeling very well.

It felt like it was going to a good home, and a good excuse to have a post with a nice title. 

Serendipity ....'unexpected good fortune' or 'a happy accident' for both me and Isobel'. 

SOLD.
Linking with Her Library Adventures, The Penny Worthy Project and Magpie Monday

15 comments:

  1. Brilliant story! The trunk is very cool! It really is a small world :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, it was a pretty cool trunk.

      Delete
  2. What a nice story. You were sweet to give up the trunk. It really is a good looking trunk!
    Connie*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear Connie, I hope i didn't make it sound like I just gave it to her, I did sell it to her, but i didn't make much on it. I hope the thrifty karma is stll coming my way.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Connie - it was very good of you to give this up, hopefully some good thrifty karma coming your way :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good for both you and Isobel. And so nice for her too that she got the trunk she wanted and all cleaned up to boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the cleaning up was not a particularly nice job.

      Delete
  5. that's amazing, clearly meant to be! its so funny i bought a trunk ages ago at a junk shop and got sold it recently. the woman who came to pick it up turned out to be a magician and she was planning on keeping her tricks in it! I love thinking about its exciting new life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitly meant to be, which is such a nice feeling. Oh I wish Isobel had been a majician! Now that would have really been a good ending.

      Delete
  6. WOW that is SUCH a cool story! I love it when uncanny things like that happen. I reckon it happens a lot in the curious world of thrift!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely story, I could imagine this being part of a novel with a twist in the tale ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love that! So many pieces just fell into place at the right time - pretty amazing! And I hope you made a bit on the trunk:)
    I am a complete auction addict. Loved reading about your experience - sounds very familiar. We live a few miles from an auction house. I rarely miss a viewing day, they are fascinating, and I've also learnt to stick to my limit the hard way! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't make much more than my money back really, but it was a big piece that i didn't really want to hang onto so i was glad to move it along. I wish i lived closer to this particular auction house, it is about an hours drive away.

      Delete
  9. That is weird and amazing! What a fantastic story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, there, you had commented on my blog about the Pyrex - so, are you officially on the hunt for some pieces today?? Hah!! It really is so pretty and everything does taste better in Pyrex!

    I wanted to reply to your message via email but you have your setting as "no reply blogger"

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. It really makes my day. I have removed word verification to make it less hassle. Sure don't I know yer not a robot!